Saturday, November 12, 2011

Double Pom Pom Hat

I picked up some Loops & Threads Charisma from Michael's today since it was on sale for $2. I've been wanting to make a new hat as a prop for holiday photos and I wanted to use my pom pom maker for it.... So I made this double pom pom hat.

Pre-Pom Pom

Pardon my strange expressions!

Double Pom Pom Hat
Yarn: Super Bulky
Hook:  6.5mm/K
Size: Should fit an adult woman (obviously ;P) or a child 4+ (there's some stretch to it!). For adult men, I'd recommend a larger hook or adding 4-6 stitches to each row.

ch21
Rnd 1: 40 hdc around - 40 sts
Rnd 2 19 hdc, inc, rep - 42 sts
Rnd 3: 20 hdc, inc, rep - 44 sts
Rnds 4-16: hdc around - 44 sts

The pom poms were made with Clover's Large Pom Pom Maker using white Caron One Pound and the Red Charisma from the hat. I just put both strands from the prom pom and put them through the corners of the hat and tied them tightly.

I imagine that using worsted weight, a 5.5mm hook, and doing something like this would likely work as well:
ch34
Rnd 1: 68 hdc around - 68 sts
Rnd 2: 33 hdc, inc, rep - 70 sts
Rnd 3: 34 hdc, inc, rep - 72 sts
Rnds 4-24?: hdc around - 72 sts

3 comments:

  1. Do u work in the round? I'm confused by your directions. How do you get the corners like that?
    Please help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you work this hat in the round. Because you're starting with a chain, the top will be squared rather than circular (your finished hat should look rectangular when lying flat). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want to make an infant double pompom hat...do yo u have instructions for that ? like a newborn

    ReplyDelete